Thursday, August 09, 2007

Does it Matter?

Question:
Is it possible to believe in/be convinced by the theory of evolution and be a Christian?

Answer:
Yes.

Question:
Is it possible to not believe in/be convinced by the theory of evolution and be a Christian?

Answer:
Yes.

Question:
Does it really matter?

Answer:
No.

If you don’t agree with me on the above points let me know why, I’d be interested to here different points of view. If you do agree with the above points read on.

I personally have a few difficulties reconciling evolution with the Biblical view but I don’t think that they are insurmountable I’m just not bothered enough to try. “What then does bother you Mr. Harrison?” you might be asking yourself. Well I believe that what matters are the following:

(NB: when I refer to Man I mean Humanity)

1. Man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1) to live in a relationship with God and care for the earth that God gave him.
2. Man has the ability to sin i.e. break off his relationship with God. We have all done this.

The reason I bring all this up is because of the debate that is going on at the moment about what should or shouldn’t be taught in science lessons at school. Science is about understanding the world through experimenting and observing results and coming up with theories to explain what happens. A theory is then discarded when a fact comes along which upsets that theory, it’s all quite simple.
Faith is founded on facts and this is what I believe ought to be taught in schools both in science and R.E lessons. Kids need to be taught to make up their own minds and we need to lose our fear that they’ll end up believing the ‘wrong’ things. If there is truth out there (I believe that there is) they’ll find it without anyone trying to indoctrinate them in a particular way of thinking.

What actually matters is a lot smaller than most of us think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home